Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The MMO endgame problem





Now before you say, "Wait all you play is single players!!". I have played Stark trek Online, Maple Story and Trickster online. I have never played WoW or SWTOR, mostly cause those two charge.

Anyway, what I have noticing while playing STO, when I used to play Maple Story and all the news coming out of SWTOR, is what the hell do we do once we hit the level cap or beat the main story??

My experience with STO has been to hit the lvel cap of 50/51 really fast, I only casually play and I am 1 level short of the cap, I could only imagine if I played regularly. I also haven't done like ANY of the main story, there are like 6 "episodes" and I've maybe done part of 2 to finish 1 episode, the rest I have done has been space combat, the main reason why I played. I mean I could finish the Federation side, then be a Kilngton, then what would I do? It not like I can make a new character and have a totally new experience, so would I be bummed out about the money I spent on cool ships, yes but I'll move on.

Maple Story has a high level cap, but they keep adding stuff for low and high level characters, they also add new classes which create a slightly different experience..but not really same missions over and over..it just breaks down to how you beat the baddies into the ground.

I would have more to say on trickster online expect I moved to a windows 7 PC..and there program never caught up with the times..sad it was a very Anime-esuqe game.

SWTOR is the newest to suffer under this weight, from listening to people who play the game--since I don't . Is the lvel cap is hit very very quickly, and once you play through all the characters story mode, it falls under what do you do?? Since BW is rushing to make post game content, they are losing subscriptions right away, whatever they are going to do, they need to do it quick before they lose more subscribers.

Now WoW, talking to my friend Pixie-chan..has a level cap but is always adding massive new content, but I mean will they fall to the way side as well?? Will the Master of MMO's join the others it has stepped on to get here..?

So what do game company do, cancel out the level cap?? Make sure post-story endgame content is ready close to release date of the game?? Go free to play from the start and just charge for the cool stuff??

2 comments:

  1. The great thing about Warcraft is that it is never ending, despite level caps. The two big things ones does once their level is maxed is PvP or Raiding. I did a lot of PvP during WotLK, and I started to get pretty decent. WoW also has a lot of side missions. There are professions to level, vanity pets to collect, achievements to to achieve. There are even quest, achievements, etc that are only available during certain holidays. Plus the Arena, which is hardcore PvP. Combine all of that with the ability to make a decent amount of alternate characters to try out different classes/factions and the constant release of new patches (usually more raids/dungeons) between expansions and you have an never ending game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple story is like that..but STO when you hit endgame..thats it..I mean you can play the other side of the story..bit after that your done with the whole game, which wouldn't be bad but you can passively play and hit the cap.

    ReplyDelete