Friday, April 22, 2011

Mass Effect 2 my take on it

Sorry for the delay, reality and all settling in. But I have time to take a look at Mass Effect 2. Having Team Four Star Plays on a side window thing.

First off, you should watch Yahtzee's take on Mass Effect 2, it was pretty accurate.



This will be a PS3 take, but it doesn't matter expect for what buttons you play, and I know alot of people have done this game, but the PS3 version came out later. Anyway. I will try to make this as spioler free as possible.


At the start, you play through some intro stage, then after some plot you get to choose your face and class, so since this is my first time doing this game i went with a Soilder class, a female (hoping for lesbian action since both Dragon Age's had them), and gave my self black/gray hair. Then I set off to save the universe. Thanks to the PS3, I got to get a kick ass interactive comic Dark Horse that went off the happenings of Mass Effect 1, you make some of the bigger decisions, then set into the real game.

Now you go off doing missions to recurit your standard RPG party, people who have no connections to you but after you do something the magically join you. They all have different powers more or less, but under 3 sub types:
Combat: different types of "bullets"
Biotic: Mass Effect take on psychic powers
Tech: summons drones, robot hacking.

Each character has 3 powers, 1 of them is unlocked by leveling up one of the skills. Then there is a 4th skill they get after you after a "loyalty mission", missins that make them forget their problems and focus on helping you.

So as I went along with killing everything that moved, I noticed quickly out of the 5 weapons I had since that is a Solider class skill- access to all weaponry, I only really used 2.  The assault rifle and the sniper rifle. Since the enemies are either really really far away or right in your face.

More on weapons:
There are 5 weapons in the games:
Assault Rifle
Sniper Rifle
Shotgun
Pistol
Sub Machine Gun.
SO my solider class got all of them. Seriously I used the starter Assault rifle, since it had the most ammo. Then the starter sniper rifle, then in 1 mission you get a choice between 3 super power weapons, I choose the super power sniper rifle, literally it was one hit killing everything.

Upgrading weapons is so much easier in this than every other RPG ever! Since you just upgrade weapons instead of having to buy newer and newer ones, and there are like 5 or 6 sets of armor, most get sent to you from DLC, like 2 sets you buy in a store. I started with the Blood Dragon Armor from Dragon Age 1, then upgrade to a armor that super powers your shields, which are the most important things since you will get shot alot. You buy, find, are given, or loot upgrades as you wandering along the universe. Now to afford these upgrades, you need to mine for minerals on planets- which is horribly boring, like watching the weather channel boring. I found it hard to find one of them Element Zero, since it is rare, so I used this guide here, Element Zero hunting guide. It is easy but boringing as all get out.

Good or Evil
It's not really good or evil per-say,  more like are you going to be a good guy or a jerk wad to everyone, there are also trigger during convos that you can trigger good or jerk motions to get more points in the meters. You can also negotiate or threaten people for stuff and discounts at stores. But its easy to tell on the talky wheels. Up for Good, down for Jerk.

Fan Service:
There is like no naughty fan service, like in Dragon Age, this is all done off screen, or at least the play through with the guy I choose, oh no lesbian fun, what a drag I wanted yuri.  But there is a crazy strip tease if you work your mojo with a female character, it will happen no matter what gender doesn't matter. But I find it cool that you get a "Space Hamster", difference between a normal and a space hamster, is a space hamster can survive going faster than light.

Trophy Hunting:
The majority of the trophies you ncan get..I mean like 80% or so of them you can get without really even trying, just play the game, head shot, kill people, do the loyality missions, And you will be fine, lost on trophies Trophy Guide. Now the 2 hardest ones are playing on the Hardest Difficulty setting. The other is much much harder, you must set alot of things in motion, have alot of loyal team members and make the right choices. Me, I followed this guide here Suscide Mission Flow Chart. Follow that to the letter and you will get the gold trophy. Which I did get, so it is possible to get by following the guide.

New Game Plus:
So on a new game plus you can important you previous character. You start at your currently level, 200K in cash, 50K of the four resources, but you can't change class. But if you restart your game, you get all the bonuses, which is a nice reward for starting over.

Dislikes:
So I didn't like everything to this game. The things that bugged me about this game:
Money can be hard to come buy and every thing is expensive
The Final boss stage was harder than the actual Final boss.
So many weapon options but just using two for the whole game.
Farming for minerals
The standard Bioware, "no expression face" when talking

 Not really huge problems, but enough to annoy me. Anyway I was very happy with this game, it gave me everything I expect from it, it was challenge but fun at the same time, and the PS3 version was nice to people who never played the first game. So I am truly excited for Mass  Effect 3 and to see how my decision in 2 will effect 3. Something I am not excited for is the rumored Mass Effect MMO. I hate MMO's, since most players are dicks..but I am not going on that rant.

Anything anyone else want to chat about..? Comment.. =)

2 comments:

  1. Mass Effect 2 is definitely better than the first. Gives me high hopes about 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats the impression i got..i am excited for 3

    ReplyDelete